removing radiator tail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'m replacing a broken radiator, and so need to take the \\\"tail\\\" of the valve fitting out of the old radiator to put it into the new one. However, I am having great difficulty unscrewing it, despite having the right allen key. Any ideas? Thanks!

Also, any ideas how to take the old olive off the pipe, as I want to change one of the valves?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
BrainyElephant said:
I am having great difficulty unscrewing it, despite having the right allen key. Any ideas?
Put the short end of the Allen key in the tail, put the hole at the end of a pair of adjustables over the long end of the key, and apply consistent force until it turns. It may be difficult, but that's life.

Also, any ideas how to take the old olive off the pipe, as I want to change one of the valves?
Use either olive cutters or an olive puller. For example:

2030b.jpg

...or:

unbranded-monument-tools-olive-puller-15mm-&-22mm.jpg

Failing that, use one of these:

DR_57428_V_JHS.jpg

... but be careful not to cut into the pipe. :eek:

If you are using the hacksaw method, dont cut all the way through the olive, cut about 80% through, then put a flat bladed screwdriver in the slot and twist. The olive should then split.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help re the radiator tail fitting and olive removal ... the first I've not managed yet, but I've removed an olive.

However, the olive left a mark on the pipe, so it is slightly misshapen, with a slight bulge, which is making it hard to put the new fitting on, because I can't get it over the bulge ... any ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

You can get a tool to fit on your socket wrench to remove the tail.

BrainyElephant said:
I\\\'m replacing a broken radiator, and so need to take the \\\"tail\\\" of the valve fitting out of the old radiator to put it into the new one. However, I am having great difficulty unscrewing it, despite having the right allen key. Any ideas? Thanks!

Thanks!

Might sound daft, but try tightening first - just sufficient pressure to "crack" the seized threads. Frequently works with nuts and bolts on cars etc etc

I have a tool for removing the Tail of radiator valves from the radiator (It is much like a large Allan key).

However recently when helping out my brother I found that the tool did not fit his radiator valve tail. The tool is slightly too small with the result that it just slips inside the tail. Is this a metric / imperial thing or is just simply that there are different sizes?

Any shops / website recommendations for getting my hansd on the right sized tool?

Thanks in advance.

As said a little heat or tightening the tail before unscrewing works.

mjm22 said:
Any shops / website recommendations for getting my hansd on the right sized tool?
Jam in enough square-shafted screwdrivers to fill the hole and lock on, then turn them with a big adjustable wrench.

Softus, i use my grips with the teeth in a rad tail or gas valve tail for such jobs, when needs must...

Gas2Air said:
Softus, i use my grips with the teeth in a rad tail or gas valve tail for such jobs, when needs must...

sime10 said:
Footprints work a treat too

Both good ones. I'll try them out next time. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back