Mono Basin Taps - Ceramic Valves Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry probably dumb question but just had a mono basin tap with ceramic valves fitted (single spout - two knobs type). Both knobs turn anti-clockwise to turn water on - which of course means that the left knobs turns forward and the right tap backward and that can't be right (certainly my kitchen tap handles both turn forward). Are there left hand and right hand valves (and the manufacturer has therefore fitted two left hand valves) or is there something that can be adjusted in the valve to change direction of on/off?

Sponsored Links
There are 'paired' ceramic disk modules which turn on in opposite directions, and unpaired ones which all turn on anticlockwise.
Sounds like you're stuck with what you have, although I suppose you COULD try to get a replacement left-handed module to fit....

OTOH - I'm unconvinced that handed taps are in general a good idea. If you have a visitor who has un-handed ones at home, he'll probably rip the top off your hot tap trying to turn it on, or turn it the wrong way later and leave it running by mistake.

I'm told that the general trend is for UK taps to operate one way and US "faucets" to operate the other (whether monobloc and singular design). Although there are many exceptions to that.

It doesn't really make a lot of difference as far as I can see - you soon get used to the one you have, but if you're particularly concerned then you can shop around for ones that do suit your desires. I agree with Croydoncorgi though - sorry Steve86, you're almost certainly stuck with what you have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back