Fitting Decking to existing brick steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wish to fit 19mm deckboards to some existing brick steps. I plan to add batons first (from the same 19mm wood) and screw through this and into wall-plugs going into the brick. I'm using size8 65mm stainless steel screws (to match the deck) but I cannot find any wall-plugs long enough for the job. I will need 45mm long plugs (19mm for the batons, 26mm in the brick) that will take a size 8 screw, does anybody know where I can get these?

Or, is there another easier approach? unfortunately, I can't really use thicker batons.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dean

Sponsored Links
use hammer fixings and drill the hole deeper. thats what i always use and never causes a problem

I thought about that, but really would like to use the same screws as the deck screws (size 8 by 65mm) to keep the look consistant.

Or, where you suggesting just using the case of the hammer fix and not the screw?

Sponsored Links
secure the battens to the step with the hammer fixings first. Then screw the decking planks to the battens

Thanks. That is exactly what I have done, use hammer fix for the batons.

But, the screws are 25mm longer than the thickness of the two planks (the deckboard step and thbatonon, each 19mm). So, I was going to drill through the batons and 25mm into the brick and drop a wall-plug in. Only problem is that I cannot find any 'red' wall plugs (size:cool: long enough for the job.

Maybe this is overkill, and I should just drill into the brick and let the screws hang there, so just fix to thebatonn and the end 25mm is not really doing anything. But, I will still have to drill so may as well use a wall-plug. I cant find shorter screws of the same type, and cant raise the batons / use thicker ones.

Thanks for the tips so far.

ah got you now. Dont bother with a plug no need. Your fixing the wood to the wood. the hole in the masonry will just give you clearance. Why dont you use shorter matching screws???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back