Cat Tunnel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone any experience of fitting a cat tunnel through a wall?
The wall I want to go through is about 10 inches thick with an inner layer constructed of breese block and the outer layer seems to be concrete.
Can anyone on the best way to cut the hole?

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has made a tunnel.
What height have they made it as the wall is fairly thick? Have they mage it quite tall so the cat can walk through?

Sponsored Links
I wanted to do this earlier in the year having been put off by the cost of reglazing a patio door to fit a flap- i haven't done it yet but thought that drilling through with the same drill piece as a sink waste bit to start with and then once you have created the hole to your required dimension thoroughly seal with waterproof sealant an internal and external door / flap system, can't see any issues with this as long as it is above the damp course line and sealed from external elements.... you can duct the inside with whatever you like, bit of ready mix concrete me thinks? watch out for wiring / piping- depending on the type of place you have !! :LOL:

You will need quite a big hole if your cat is a porker!

It is easy to hire a 105mm (4-inch) or a 150mm (6-inch) Core drill from your local tool hire co, I think you might need to make two of these in an "8" shape and trim the edges to form your tunnel. To keep burglars' arms and children out maybe some kind of return wall or box on the inside? And make sure it is not close to an opening door or window.

You will need some kind of flap for draughts.

Go into the staywell catflap webside. They offer all sorts of gadgets or you could give them a ring and ask for adivce.

Sponsored Links
shaundiy said:
Has anyone any experience of fitting a cat tunnel through a wall?
I've got 3 cat tunnels :LOL:, made mine out of 3/4" plywood box section allowing for the cat flap door swing inside the box section. My 3 cats never has any problem with it. Make sure the plywood is rubbed down smoothly and wood splinter free

Thanks for all the advice!

I hired a 16cm core drill and went through the outer wall and fitted the catflap to the outside wall. I then made a 20 x 25 hole on the inside wall and fitted a plywood section. It was a bit tricky to line it all up but its worked a treat and the cats are happy!

Thanks again

Wouldnt it just be easier to not have the cat? Cheaper too, and will stop you moggie going out and CR****NG on your neibours lawn...

What else do thay do...?

as you can tell, im certanily no cat lover...

Thats why i got a cat, because if you have one, all the other cats stay out of your garden.

MasterAbacus said:
Wouldnt it just be easier to not have the cat? Cheaper too, and will stop you moggie going out and CR****NG on your neibours lawn...

What else do thay do...?

as you can tell, im certanily no cat lover...
Cats dig a hole and dump in it dont they? Then fill the hole back in. Very sanitary like. I always used to chuckle when I saw our old cat digging the front garden up under some bushes and dumping in it. And the look he'd give me when he saw me looking. :LOL: Priceless. :LOL: :cool:

our cat tunnel is just made by leaving out bricks and lining with tiles, it was built when our extention was done so presumablly the BCO saw it.

the hole is quite tall near the outside and slopes upwards slightly, followed by a vertical bit with the catflap in.

usually ours gets left on out only so the cat can get out in the middle of the night but can't come back in until we come down in the morning (if you let him come in through it he brings mice in)

We built one some years ago now. The wall was double skinned, brick. We removed sufficient bricks both inside and out - certainly not enough to let the cats walk through. We worked it so that the finished tunnel was the size of the STAYWELL cat flaps that we put on both inner and outer wall. (Double glazed cat flap!)

The lining was made with a fine concrete mix, having first put a mesh around to bridge the gap between the inner and outer walls.

The inner end of the tunnel was about 6 inches off the floor but outside it was more like 18 inches so we built a loose brick step for them. It worked really well. The cats crawled through quite easily even when they were becoming quite old. They used it happily until we moved house when they were 17 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back