Minimum reading allowed for pyro (insulation resistance)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Minimum reading allowed for pyro (insulation resistance)

im getting 4.57/4.84

i was told anything aobve .5 is alright but must exceed 2meg in new installations

Sponsored Links
How longs the run? On a new installation you should be looking for better readings than that in my view

1 meter

the readng ive been gettin are

45.7/48.4

had the point in the wrong plce

Same as any other cable AFAIK

0.5 meg min, and under 2 meg you really ought to investigate it (and you really should be quite concerned IMHO quite a way before it gets as low as 2, lol)

Sponsored Links
Is it just an odd piece you are testing.Are the ends properly terminated or are they open and the cable has started to absorb moisture.Is it a very old piece that has a reduced Ins/Res

Ricicle

Is there any truth to the rumour that modern MI has an additive to the MgO that makes it a lot less hydrosopic than the MI of old and what some people would have you believe?

i saw one manufacturers website that said that, i dunno if its universal though.

its just off cuts what was left from prvious jobs a while back which i found in my company office.

the legs are open yes

plus its old piece of mi

:D

thanks

if the MI dries out would the insulation improve again or is there some kind of reaction with the moisture and magnesium oxide?

being MgO, i guess no reaction

I've heard the older guys say they used to dry MI cables out to improve IR by using a hand cranked megger.Any truth in that you more senior guys out there?

Ricicle

A method used for chasing out moisture in pyro.
After removing the pot, use the flame of a gas torch or blowlamp, starting about 2 metres from the end; and working towards the near pot end, retesting for the insulation value, if still low: - do the other end.

Jaymack

Jaymack said:
A method used for chasing out moisture in pyro.
After removing the pot, use the flame of a gas torch or blowlamp, starting about 2 metres from the end; and working towards the near pot end, retesting for the insulation value, if still low: - do the other end.

Jaymack

We were shown this at college with an analogue megger connected to the potted end of the pyro, and then a blowtorch applied to the open, damp end.

The IR value steadily increased as the flame was brought nearer the end of the pyro.

I love pyro. What a good invention.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back