ELectric Shower Fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i\\\'m not sure but i beleive the fuse on the electric shower has blown, just switching it on one day, it just blew out. I opened the box iup, but could not find where the fuse was located. Any help in how to replace the fuse, if thats what it is would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
what box did you open up? The shower, or your houses fuse box?

Hi it was the box, with the cord switch, to turn the shower on or off. I thought the fuse for the shower would be in there, am i totally looking in the wrong place?

Yes, that sounds like the isolator switch. The fuse should be in your consumer unit. What do you mean by blew out? Is there a neon on the isolator and if so does it light up?

Sponsored Links
You are looking in the wrong place.Be very careful with the pullswitch as if it is that that is faulty then it may still be live.I would suggest that you turn off all your electrics at the consumer unit, screw the pullswitch back up,turn back on the consumer unit and call a registered electrician given the amount of knowledge you showed when searching for the shower fuse

Ricicle

The neon on the isoloator switch doesn't light up anymore. When it blew out, there was just this popping noise, and then a bit of a smoky smell, does that sound like the fuse in the consumer unit? If so how would i got about replacing this, and where would this be located? Thanks

maybe the question you should be thinking about is why has the fuse blown?

are you even sure you have a fusebox with rewirables or is it a CU with mcb's?

you really dont want to start replacing fuses without knowing what is wrong with the circuit/ shower. job for a proffesional this one.

no offence meant but your knowledge of even basic electrics seems very poor so i wouldnt advice poking about in fuseboxes, switches or anything.

either ask a mate who has some good basic knowledge to see if its a simple problem or get a spark out.

I'm sorry to sound scornful, but don't you know where your CU is?

hazarding a wild guess here, but the shower and isolator are in the bathroom. when said "pop" happened, it was probably heard in the bathroom. Thus unless the fuse or mcb in the consumer unit was made of TNT, it seems likely that something nasty has happenened in the shower or isolator itself. time to call a spark methinks.

steve119 said:
Hi i\\\'m not sure but i beleive the fuse on the electric shower has blown, just switching it on one day, it just blew out. I opened the box iup, but could not find where the fuse was located. Any help in how to replace the fuse, if thats what it is would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi Steve119, I am facing exactly the same problem today! Have you managed to solve your fuse mystery? If you had to call an electrician, was it a bit job (how much)? Thanks for any help. Gus149.

Gus149 said:
steve119 said:

Hi Steve119, I am facing exactly the same problem today! Have you managed to solve your fuse mystery? If you had to call an electrician, was it a bit job (how much)? Thanks for any help. Gus149.
given Steve119 hasn't posted since october, and only ever made 3 posts on this thread, on the same day, I dont think he will be back anytime soon to answer your queery.

(for all we know, he may be dead, as a result of looking in the wrong place for his fuse / messing with live switches - this is why we always like people to tell us when their problem has been resolved)

FYI, the only fuse protecting your shower circuit is located in the fuse box or consumer unit. For a shower to blow a correctly rated fuse / MCB, something has gone badly wrong, and you will need repair personell / an electrician to do testing and replacement.

Thanks for the reply. My old shower unit (which I installed myself) had a short-circuit so I actually replaced it. The strange thing is that I checked the MCB unit and all the fuses - no apparent blown fuse! Maybe I have to test one by one rather than just a visual check. Thanks anyawy. Gus149.

Do you have MCBs or fuses?

How do you know you had a short circuit? If this were the case, and the MCB/fuse didn't operate, the supplier's main fuse would have operated on a direct short circuit (1000's of amps).

Is the fusebox/CU labelled? Do you have RCD protection on the shower circuit, or anywhere on the installation? (A device that has a test button on it)

My extrasensory powers are detecting a burnt-out neutral in the switch ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back