Damaged walls - please help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a house, approximately 25/30 years old and am now doing it up, (whilst living on a mattress in the spare room...)

Problem is, in the living room and dining room, there are some rough patches on the wall. Not blistering or bubbling, but just rough plastering, and bad joins where previous repairs have been made. Never noticed it until my father in law painted it, and even after that, but when my "hawk eyed missus arrived, she spotted them straight away and once I've noticed it, it does look really bad.

So my question is, does Polycell smooth over work? There are only really 3 or 4 walls in the whole house that are bad. The afore mentioned father in law claims that the only way to fix these is to strip the entire 2 rooms down to the brick and replaster etc. Reckons it would cost thousands. Personally I think he's saying that to put us off doing any further work and spoiling the paint job he's done.

Please help as waiting is killing me. Father in law, (not my favorite person right now), told me it would take 3 weeks to decorate the house, and that was 8 weeks ago.)

Sponsored Links
sMOOTH OVER IS OK...BUT THERE ARE OTHER PRODUCTS OUT THERE TOO such as gyproc easi-fil and ready mixed joint finish (in orange tubs)

But you will end up with loads of 'scars' from all the filling and rubbing down...and different surfaces too

I would suggest you fill the walls as much as poss then line them with 1000 grade lining paper...then re paint

Or nail some false beams to the wall and go for the rustic look!

Not blistering or bubbling, but just rough plastering, and bad joins where previous repairs have been made.

Do you mean overlapping (Where the edge of plaster protrudes the edge of the plaster underneath)? Kinda hard to explain. If so, you could try sanding. This can happen on plasterboard if dot and dabbed and then skimmed (can't verify this statements accuracy though).

I don't think it would cost thousands to strip and replaster a wall? :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Tozzy said:
I don't think it would cost thousands to strip and replaster a wall? :confused: :confused:

Yeah, like I said, I think this "quote" came from my favourite father in law to try and deter us from having any more work done.
I have since called my plasterer again and he says he should be able to skim over it without too much fuss. Even if it needs stripped to the brick and redone he still says it would not run into thousands.

Should be sorted this week!

Ps, yes, it was overlapping, and sanding was tried but not really getting a good enough finish to appease the missus!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back