wiring centre- where is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to replace my honeywell st7100 timer with st6400c (apparantly direct replacement). I wondered where the plan wiring centre is, is it the base behind the 7100, lots of cables in there! is it poss to upload pics to show??

Sponsored Links
its usually near the valves

but if its a straight swap why are you worrying, just take off the old programmer and insert the new one on the back plate, easy

makes sure that you have safety isolated the elastic trickery before you do, cos it will be shocking if you dont

its not a straight swap, the back plate to the 7100 has terminals 1->6 live, neutral. Then still in backplate but not to timer are earth(3 wires), another neutral (3 wires) and 3x spare 2 with 2 cables in, 1 empty! So would this be more wiring centre? If not will the other be near my hot tank?

i would advise you get a programmer with the same back plate

if not doesnt your existing programmer have a wiring diagramm on the back so as you can connect the tright wire to the right terminal?

why do you need the central wiring centre for this, mucking around in there when you are not 100% sure is dangerous and a bit silly, lose one wire and you have no heating or hot water?

Sponsored Links
i dont want to touch the wiring centre. The backplate is different because the timer is well old i think! Its just that behing the timer there is literally 20 ish wires, so assume this may be wiring centre

The thing is m8 you should be telling us you are on the scene. If you can't work out how to look for the main wiring centre how do you expect us to help?

Depends on the age of the system but a good place to start is the zone or mid pos valve/s. airing cupboard boiler location, on an older system wired by a plumber you might even be looking for a single socket backbox stuffed full of individual connections from a connecting strip, with no indication of what's what..

You have to isolate power, go to every point like rstat cylstat pump boiler etc etc twist a pair of wires at each termination and continuity test at centre end to identify each pair. Then mark them, then you know what's what for your new controller.

Or just wing it, whatever.

well put in a new wiring center. as your old programmer sounds like its being used as one. i just rip all wires and as mr barker says you will have to ring out the cables to ascertain where they go. and then follow the honeywell plan for your particuliar sytem.
a wiring centre is only a fiver.

You might need an extra connector in the new one's box - no big deal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back