immersion heater spur/plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just moved into a flat that was built in teh 1900s and renovated in 1980. the flat is electic only and has a immersion heater for hot water. heating rooms is done through wall mounted electric heaters.

i switched on the immerser for the second time last night for 30mins. when i switched it off the spur/face of the switch (i dont know the technical terms for the parts) was very warm.

i would say it was similar in warmth to the power supply of a laptop. not enough to burn my hand but very warm to the touch.

is this normal?

after 30mins there was no hot water to wash dishes.

however, we have had it on once before and it did provide hot water and i dont recall the spur/plug/face being warm.

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
a 3 KW immersion heater connected to a fused connection unit with a 13A fuse in will cause the FCU to run warm. So long as the FCU is not wrapped up in a duvet this isn't a problem.

However, if youre immersion heater has stopped working, this implies a fault. you should get an electrician to check - a faulty immersion heater has the risk of being very dangerous due to all the water involved etc.

ah, well at least its supposed to get warm. ill get a spark into have a look if it continues not to heat up the water.

Sponsored Links
It may also become warm because there is a faulty connection inside.

Good advice to get it checked out.

TTC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back