Radiator Air valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

My first post here so please be gentle.

Quick question, does anyone know where I could get a Radiator air release valve from? Ive tried all the usual suspects B&Q,plumb centre, Wicks etc etc and the smallest they seem to do is a "10in" (I think that sright)

The problem is the one i need is smaller than that (I presume a 12in as it seems one size smaller). Basically i bust the bleed nipple off :oops: i was going to try and drill the old bit out and replace it but then decided not to risk it as if i couldn't replace it the radiator would have to be left off.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated:cool:

Sponsored Links
ookmonkey said:
"10in" (I think that sright)
The problem is the one i need is smaller than that (I presume a 12in as it seems one size smaller)
I don't know about anyone else, but you've completely lost me.

:LOL: Thats a great first post come back again I think your great
:LOL:

Get someone in before you really F up

sime10 said:
:LOL: Thats a great first post come back again I think your great
:LOL:

Get someone in before you really F up

Thats a good idea, ill get someone in to replace something that costs a couple of quid and pay the call out fee :rolleyes: Muppet

I just think ill ask elsewhere if thats as usefull as your gonna be

Thats the size that is written on the air release valve I bought from B&Q which is roughly one size too big.
Now when I was looking in B&Q the packets had 8in and 10in on them and they were the ones too big so I presume the next size would be the next one along, as I said I wasn't too sure.

Sponsored Links
ookmonkey said:
Thats a good idea, ill get someone in to replace something that costs a couple of quid and pay the call out fee.

I just think ill ask elsewhere if thats as usefull as your gonna be.
Calm down ookmonkey. You haven't provided enough information yet.

Please can you explain more about this thing you're calling an air release valve? I may be the stupid one here, but it isn't a term I recognise. Where does the valve fit, and what does it do? 10" seems awfully big for something domestic. :confused:

Are you talking about the thing in the side of the top of the radiator that you open with one of these?
p1097409_l.jpg

They are usually about a quarter of an inch so I don't understand your reference to 10in or 12in (and I don't understand why you say 12in is smaller than 10in).

If it is one of them, do you need the brass pin with a square at one end and a point at the other, or do you need the entire brass (or steel) screw-in plug?

If it is the plug, do yours look as if they can be removed with a spanner, or do they have a hexagonal recess that needs an allen key?

I think he measn the air bleed nipple at teh top of his radiator....

Could that be 1/10th of an inch and 1/8th of an inch maybe???

Just a random ponder..... (Onyl way I can see something 12inch being smaller than something 10inch!!!!)

PS. 6 inches is MORE than anough and if the MRs. is asking thats about the lenght of a chipolata!

Firstly I'll apologise, I didn't mean to sound ****y and it wasn't at you Softus as you were just saying you didn't understand what I was after.

robopenshaw: yep its the bleed valve im looking for but when searching the web ive only been able to find them under "air release valve". as I said the one I got which was from B&Q was one size too large and it had 10in on the packet. I think you could be right about the 1/10 of an inch as that would make sense.

JohnD: Its the entire plug i need not just the pin bit as the original one has sheared off and can't be removed. It can be taken off with a spanner (this is how im bleeding the radiator at the moment;) but the screw thread part is only about 5-6mm wide. The smallest one I could find at B&Q had a screw thread about 9-10mm wide.

Sorry again for sounding ****y :oops:

Close both rad valves and release some water, then remove the bush that holds the vent plug and take it to your local plumbcentre or pts and they will be able to supply one or order it for you. :LOL:

I tried plumb center but they were no help.

although does anyone have an opinion on the automatic air release valves?

since i had sense to measure it in mm ive found one that is the right size but an automatic one

here it is http://www.denc.co.uk/

Thing is this only has to last 6 months until we replace the entire heating system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back