Exterior Render - cold weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have read lots of posts on this forum re rendering and now, thanks to everyone on here, have a fairly good idea what I need to do.

My main concern is rendering in cold weather - we are now getting below zero/ frost overnight

Can I render with an overnight frost and what are the key things I need to be doing to avoid implications to the scratch and 2nd skim?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i personally wouldn't want my home rendered in high risk frost conditions, though frost proofing additives are readily available.

If you're doing small areas at a time, you could always protect it with polythene sheeting overnight.

I rendered an extension last week. I started quite late and managed to get it done before the light disapered.

I went the following morning, (because i knew the render wouldnt have hardened fully) to rub up. YES it was still possible

It has now hardned, but it does slow and weaken the final surface in low temp conditions.

I will now not undertake any external rendering untill late April.

Sponsored Links
This work is required on low level non retaining garden wall - i have plenty of plastic sheeting which I am happy to use.

If I focused on applying the scratch coat in the morning whilst temps are getting warmer - this should give me 8 to 10hours until reaching cold conditions - if I use plastic sheeting - should I be ok?

How long should I leave between scratch and second coat in such conditions and how can I determine its ok to move to the 2nd layer?

cheers all
Jon B

If its a garden wall then i wouldn't worry too much.

Is it a single skin wall or double ?

One thing to take into consideration is that if its holding back earth in the garden and there is no DPM behind it, it will probably get quite wet. This will sit behind the render and possibly freeze causing the render to blow.

If non of the above apply, then don't worry. Scratch coat and apply top coat day after.

Remember to make the top coat slightly weaker and add 1 measure of lime in both your mixes.

3.1.1 for scratch
4.1.1 for top

Rub up your top coat with a wooden or plastic float or give it a light wipe with a sponge for a nice finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back