confused microbore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a new house with 6 rads on a gas vailliant boiler through microbore. 5 rads are fine the one in the living room cold. The feed up to it is scalding........Removed rad flushed through...no apparent residue.....checked flow both in and out and it gushed freely......replaced rad....bled air....boiler pressured maintained at one bar....pipe to rad scalding ....no heat in rad.....I am confused..can anyone shed some light...........thanks

Sponsored Links
could well be the manifold is blocked with crap at the flow or return connections for that rad.

power flush, or drain down , disconnect clean and refit .

If the pipe to the rad is scallding as you say there should be slight circulation so I presume the return pipe or valve has a problem.

Have you tried turning all working ones off and let this one run on its own?

If that doesn't work maybe a valve fault (hard to say )

Sponsored Links
Do you have a thermostatic valve fitted to the readiator, if you do it may be stuck in the closed position even if the valve head is turned to indicate it is open.

If you have actually removed rad and turned both valves on and got a good flow out of both them, and with rad in place with everything else turned off you are still not gettin it warm. It sounds like it has been teed into either flow or return twice instead of individually

Thanks for all useful comments.......However after lifting carpets have found that chip boarded floor goes under skirtings etc...........so I am going to have to cut holes............Where is the most likely place to find the manifold...The boiler is in a cupboard on the top landing...........would it be logical to conclude it was close by

like sime10 sail if u r getting hot pipe at the rad its poss the return thats blocked. if u have tried all the other things...like closing all the other rads etc, and i assume at some time it worked !? it could be like i said , a bocked manifold.

follow the 22mm pipes that leave the cupboard into the floor (from the side of the cylinder). normally situated in hallway?/next room.
when u find it u need to establish which 2 pipes are the f and r for that rad.
drain, disconnect it, clean it (check to see if indeed much comes out of it) and place it all back, refill and check rad. if its working, drain down a bit and add inhibitor.
this is just 1 possibility/suggestion.

i take it the valves work/are open.
u could take rad off and open slowly the valve that is not getting hot and see if anything/much comes out.....if it doesnt, then most probably problem as above

namsag said:
If you have actually removed rad and turned both valves on and got a good flow out of both them, and with rad in place with everything else turned off you are still not gettin it warm. It sounds like it has been teed into either flow or return twice instead of individually

Did anybody notice this from Namsag?

He is on the nail. If there is water coming out of each valve when the rad is removed how can there be a blockage.

Surely the pipes have to be configured wrong as he says.

Stan

Change the rad valves. If one is a TRV unscrew the top and tap the metal pin put some wd 40 on it. this normally works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back