Ditch that Outlet Box ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am re-instating the cooker control unit in my kitchen, can I wire the cooker straight into the \\\'Cooker Control Unit\\\' and not use the \\\'Terminal Outlet Box\\\' ?
(5.3Kw new cooker to be used with existing 4mm cable and 32A mcb)

Sponsored Links
it is much better, neater, tidyer etc to use the outlet box. thats what its there for.

why do youw ant to wire straight into the cooker switch?

The heat resistant cable from the cooker can loop into the kitchen cabinet next to the cooker were the 'cooker control unit' is . Yeah I know that strictly speaking the control unit should be "easily accessible" !!
If the cooker control unit was mounted above the worktop - and I did not use the terminal outlet box, then the cable from the cooker would have to be plastered into the wall up to the cooker control unit and hence it would be difficult when removing/changing the cooker. But as the CCU is in the cabinet - the cable from the cooker is in free air.

Sponsored Links
There's nothing illegal with what you want to do. Provided that you do not have to reach over the cooker to switch it off at the CCU, it will be OK. However, you need to consider how someone, unfamiliar with your arrangement (fireman responding to an out of control cooker fire, perhaps?), will know where to look for the CCU while its tucked away in the cupboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back