Which circuits need MCB\\\'s?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I\\\'m just replacing the conglomeration of old fuseboxes etc in my garage/office with a new Wylex Consumer unit. Which circuits need to be wired into the MCB\\\'s? I have the following circuits:- Lights(6A); Ring Main(32A); One storage heater(16A); Underfloor heating(16A); To shed(16A); To Greenhouse(16A). Also how deep should I chase the wall for the cables for the underfloor heating? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are you aware of part p at all, sorry but got to point it out.

if your replacing consumer unit they all need mcb's.

mcb= minituare circuit breaker.

all the circuits will have their own mcb just like your existing circuits have their own individual fuses.

Do you know the difference between an MCB and an RCD?

JohnD said:
Do you know the difference between an MCB and an RCD?
Whoops! Apologies - Yes, I do mean the RCD....... - which circuits need to be wired into the RCD.
The new box has an RCD and a main switch.

Sponsored Links
Any which feed socket circuits likely to supply portable equipment outdoors such as the ring, the shed and the greenhouse. You may also find the manufacturere specifies RCD protection for underfloor heating.
I am taking it that its a TN supply?

The only circuit legally required to be on a RCD (well at present) is the downstairs ring final circuit, as it can supply equipment out of doors, the others are optional or not always necessary.

If your cooker circuit has a socket, then it must be RCD protected, likewise any shed or garage or garden power sub-circuits (if any).

Cooker circuit needs an RCD if it has a socket that "can reasonably be expected to supply equipment outside".

So if it is not close to the back door, and there other sockets closer, then prob not necessary. E.g. my cooker circuits are on the first floor.

It is better to have a cooker switch without a socket to avoid this quandary, also to make it more difficult to plug the kettle in and drape the flex across the hob so it can get burned.

I think the litttle flower is not yet ready for such advanced ideas. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back