shower tiling confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a quandrant shower cubicle that needs tiling, one wall is brick and the other is painted plasterboard. I have ready about the need for 'tanking' the plasterboard wall but can't find out any details about what this involves or why it is needed.

If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be most grateful. Is water-proof grout and silicone sealant not good enough?

Sponsored Links
"waterproof" when used to describe grout means that the grout will not be damaged by water, it does not mean that it will stop the passage of water.

As this site will not allow me to link to anther site showing whats involved your best option is to pop into your local Topps Tiles and get their DVD.

The reason to tank is that any water passing through the grout will make the plasterboard wet and it will fail, you should also apply it to the other plastered? wall and use the tape in the kit to reinforce the junction of solid wall to partition wall.

Jason

Thanks for the info... I plan on doing the following:

- removing flaking paint from walls, leaving only paint that is well adhered to the wall
- applying the BAL WP1 shower tanking kit to both plasterboard and masonry walls
- tiling over the tanked areas

Is there anything else that I need to consider or does that more or less cover all the potential leakage problems?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
remove all paint an get a plaster scratch finish to attach tanking too

BAL WP1 shower tanking kit will have full instructions with them , have a cuppa an read them :)

then tile over tanking , WHEN dry ...usually 24hrs

If its plaster board on a stud wall, you could remove the plaster board and replace with aquaboard which is waterproof. No need for tanking.

No, No, No

You still need to tank aquapanel, as with "waterproof" grout it is not damaged by water but will still let water pass through it. The tape in the tanking also seals the joint between a solid wall and a stud wall so will stay watertight if there is any diferential movement.

grimmonkey
as jase has said you certainly need to tank aquapanel......please dont confuse guys here with incorrect advice !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back