Thermostatic Shower Valve Uneven Flowrate

mpc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved into a new house, only to find the shower had a cheap nasty thermostatic plastic valve - which had settled on 2 settings - cold or red hot.

The house has a new Woucester Boiler (combi condenser). I replaced the plastic shower valve with a Sirrus 1503 thermostatic valve.

Now I find that the water from the shower gets hotter, depending on how far you turn the dial which is right. However, after about 2 mins the flowrate beings to alter, pulsing, then becoming weaker and then increases and is cold for a while. This is worse the hotter it is set.

The cold feed does have a govenor, which I turned in an attempt to see if the previous plastic valve could be fixed.

I thought that the rate might be dropping off because the cold pressure is too low - but I'm a bit stuck

Any suggestions, would be most gratefully recieved -

Thanks Matt.

Sponsored Links
mpc wrote

Any suggestions, would be most gratefully recieved -

Yeah , fit a good unvented cylinder.
Thermostatic valves dont seem to work to well on combination boilers but someone may know one which will work OK.

Thanks for the reply.

Would I be better off just fitting a standard mixer valve?

mpc wrote

Would I be better off just fitting a standard mixer valve?

Sorry ,Dont know. :(
Have just read stuff on forums about them thermostatic mixers not performing to well when coupled to a combination boiler.
Ive only fitted them to UV cylinders and have never had any problems. :D

Sponsored Links
A standard manual mixer with an internal pressure balancing machanism fitted may well perform better than a thermostatic mixer on a combi system.
The main requirement is that the hot supply should remain relatively constant.
I think the combination boiler should acheive this . The modern ones should modulate back when the flow through them lowers so they should still provide a constant temperature at a lower modulation .

My thermostatic Bristan 'Aquaeous' bar mixer (£140) works perfectly with my Baxi 105e combi

a commom problem with these, is the hot and cold supplies connected the wrong way round

Okay, an apology here.

Everything is now working very well, flow rate is good, much better than an electric shower. Temperature regulation is also good.

I made a very basic mistake. I forgot to open the extra wheel valve on the shower cold supply. The 1-2 mins that the shower was working was just the standing water in the hot feed !! This problem was driving me mad for 3 days :oops:

After opening the wheel valve and opening the govenor the problem vanished.

Just for your info, my boiler is a Worcester Bosch 28i Jnr and the Valve is a Sirrus Thermostatic 1503.

Thanks for everyone who took the time to suggest solutions :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back