What Sander

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spent 3 days in the summer on my hands and knees sanding and varnishing a 35 year covered up parquet hallway (a great finish in the end).
But "WE" have decided the whole lounge diner 45ft x 18 needs the same, but i am confused over whats the best industrial device for the job. Was thinking of the local hire shop, but then noticed something called a trio, for the main area, and was going to use diy kit for the edges. Has anyone used or would recomend anything.

Sponsored Links
It's rare that I answer a question rather than ask one.

I spent ages looking into floor sanders when i wanted to do it.

The usual high street hire shops rent the drum type sanders which can cause the floor to be gouged out if the plate that holds the sanding sheets comes into contact with the floor. I found a firm that rent out their spare professional belt sanders. They were based in Manchester I see you are based in Kent so they won't be suitable for you but it is def. worth looking into a local firm that can rent the correct equipment because belt sanders make much less mess than drum (i didn't need to make any other preperations other than closing the (loose fitting) doors. Also, there is no need to get to worked up about nail heads etc because the belt sander will sort out anything slightly exposed.

I was also able to hire a rather nifty detail sander that was like a very small belt sander which allowed me to get right into the corners.

I'm sure a drum sander would work and i am sure that some people have had no problems but through discussions with those that have tried with a drum I think i had a (relatively) easier job.

Good luck

Many thanks, found the piece of kit i was looking into, its the nearest thing i've seen to a sander made by Dyson.
I will be sealing the doors and going for gold tomorrow.

Thanks again, ill pass on any feedback if it goes well.

Sponsored Links
Too late now I expect, but don't use of those monsters with the dust generating bag. It will still get everywhere, (that's EVERYWHERE), and is is BAD to breath it in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back