No Hot Water

Sponsored Links
No. All it says is the manufacturer's name - GW Swift Ltd (hull). It looks quite old.#
The weird thing is, all pipes leading to the cylinder are cold, yet the rads are still piping hot.

If you`ve no F and E tank then is it a sealed system? Do you have an expansion vessel and a pressure guage?

No, neither of these.
I've just turned one rad off, the water then automatically filled up a different rad with piping hot water, which was previously cold, and the pipe to the hot water tank was intermittently boiling until the rad was hot and then the pipe into (or out of) the hot tank went cold again. I can't help thinking that the whole thing is somehow interlinked.

Sponsored Links
type in combination cylinder and see if any thing resembles what you have

ok look in the small tank and see if there is a smaller tank inside,if not the expanding water must be taken up inside the hot water cylinder, i think pannierstan was on the money with an airlock

Heya,

There is no second tank in the header tank. Would you recommend running all the hot taps to try and clear it?

no ,as your 100 per cent sure that there is nothing in the loft,even very high up?, i think you should get the plumber back that fitted the pump

Yes, I'm absolutely certain there's nothing in the loft. The plumber and I are unlikely to meet again due to the somewhat foul language we both used when the hot water disappeared.

I'm flummoxed then, but thanks very much for your help. At least we've been able to identify what type of cylinder it is and other bits and bats.
Sincerely, thank you. I'll have another couple of hours on this, then wind my way into the kitchen sink for a kettle bath!! :eek:

Suspect the primary pipes are scailed at the boiler.

Cylinder will be a fortic primatic type.

After looking into this a little more and trying to identify it, it would appear that all combi cylinders have the upper tank actually attached, which would mean that if this was the case, I have an indirect cylinder. Would this change any of the advice previously given?

Jaroson said:
After looking into this a little more and trying to identify it, it would appear that all combi cylinders have the upper tank actually attached, which would mean that if this was the case, I have an indirect cylinder. Would this change any of the advice previously given?

Just because it's a combination cylinder doesn't mean its indirect, although in your case it should be.

On the side where the primary pipes connect are the fittings MI x Copper or FI x Copper.

A photo would be good

Hey again, I figured I'd give everyone an update on the situation and also ask for a bit more help!! :rolleyes:

After trying pretty much everything you guys suggested (and further internet reading) I drew a blank and called a different plumber. He's been out today and looked at the pump which was incorrectly installed, had live wires left loose from it and had damaged the boiler which he then proceeded to condemn.

The cylinder was indeed a Primatic cylinder and as luck would have it, has an immersion attached to it...and now for my next question!!
The immersion doesn't work. I'm assuming this is just a blown fuse somewhere in either the on/off switches or in the consumer unit (more likely to be the case). I'll post this in the Electrics forum as well (and look for similar topics) but just wondered if there was anyone here who knew how to change a fuse on an old MK Sentry Consumer Unit???

And cheers for all the help guys!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back