re wirable fuse CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any requirement to replace old fuse wire CU ?

Sponsored Links
No. And theres nothing wrong with fuses. But it does indicate that at present there is probably no rcd so if you get a shock out side its likely you will die. It also indicates the rest of your wiring is old and may be a fire hazard.

Bit over the top sm1thson, you can still buy them new!! I think you should have said "may indicate".

Sponsored Links
Bris, fuses are still widely used, epecially in industry, but whenever I encounter rewireable fuses in domestic premises (daily!) I automatically look out for a number of other things:

• Under-sized or missing earthing and bonding
    Non-compliant cable entries into fuseboard
    Incorrect fuse sizing.
    Multiple circuits from each fuseway
    Lots of ad-hoc additions to socket circuits
    Lack of circuit protective conductors on lighting.
    ...and lots more...

The best way of getting an idea is to get an electrician to carry out an inspection and test.

dingbat

You describe my installation precisely

I think you are in need of more than a new consumer unit in that case.

But how many times have we seen a new CU installed on the back of an outdated system like this... :cry:

I don't normally install CU's on the back of an installation, usually at one end of it... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back