Surface preparation for lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just removed old wallpaper and the walls underneath have got a mixture of plasterboard and what looks like concrete/cement columns of some kind. As they are really rough with lots of old paint we have decided to hang lining paper and then paint over.

To our surprise we successfully put the first piece up over plasterboard. The second piece has proved to be more difficult as it is over the cement type surface. The paper bubbled up a little but was very obvious and when we removed it to try again it had softened all of the paint that was painted onto the cement bit and also softened the cement!!!! (I am now assuming that this is not cement).

What should I do? If I size the areas of the cement type stuff will that work? Will ordinary paint sealant for plaster board/plaster work as we already have that?

Any advice is very welcome!!!

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit lost on the concrete columns bit. But if you have a mixture of surfaces it might be best to apply a primer sealer, I use zinsser 123 for this. You say the second drop bubbled, did you let it dry thorughly before removing? (overnight at least) Bubbles will appear while paper is drying, they are best left alone (as long as you left no air pockets initially) also paint behind paper can bubble up. But if left to dry it normally goes back..
Good luck..

Thanks - no I didn't leave it to dry becuase I thought it looked too bad next to first good piece! But I will try it again today and just leave it if it bubbles slighty and see what happens when its dry. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back