Extractor fan puzzle.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a new house and the bathroom\\\'s extractor is not working (just a little red light but fan itself is dead). I have an on off switch for it (in the boiler cupbord) and it is activated by switching on or off the light.

I have removed the old fan and I have two wires (red and black). I purchase a new fan with a timer connected it but it comes on only for a couple of seconds then stops. I attempted all possible combinations on the three L N and L1 inputs on the fan. I gave up and decided the fan might have been faulty so went out bought a different model and this one doesn\\\'t even turn on for a second. Have I killed both? what am I doing wrong

Thanks
Paolo

Sponsored Links
A timer fan requires 3 feeds, a live, switched live and a neutral. See the sticky for info.

Sponsored Links
I have only one red and one black cable from the wall while my timer fan has switched live and permanent live cables. As you had suggested, should I connect both the switched live and permanent live on the fan to the red cable on the wall? Will this work, as I found that by connecting either permamnet live or switched live to the red cable separately will not work.

Spark123 said:
If you link L to Ls on the fan then it should work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back