Radiators in the converted loft are cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are still discovering the ins and outs of this house we moved into a few months ago.

Yesterday, for the first time, I set out to warm the converted loft up by openning the valves of the radiators, but they have remained cold - i.e no sign of them working. There was a noise when I opened the valves - air??

NB - We have a combi boiler - W Bosch 24i - and all the radiators on ground and first floors are / have been working perfectly fine.

Please advise on a solution and reasonfor the above if you can - thanks!

Sponsored Links
Are both valves turned on
Is system full of air
has boiler got 1 bar of pressure when cold
are rads actually connected

Thanks for the thought provoking questions!

Yes, both valves for each radiators - 3 in all, one of which is in the shower room in the loft - are opened.
The radiators are connected to first and ground floor central heating system.

The radiators now seem to work but are cold FOR MOST PARTS apart from the bottom bits and the in and out pipes - which no doubt confirms there is air in the system?

Problem is there are no exit outlets to bleed on 2 radiators. The one in the shower room is a towel rail radiator with screws on the 2 vertical railings.

Any further advice on how to get solve the problem? Do I need to loosen up the screws of the towel railings? Would bleeding the other radiators in the house help at all (they are all working perfectly?

Thanks?

All rads should have bleed screws, and they should obviously always be at the top, some manufacturers put them at the back of the radiator covering them with a small piece of plastic. look carefully, usually the towel ones are at the top of the vertical pipe or again sometimes behind. some people put rads in the loft with no thought to pipe sizing, thinking they can just feed them with 15mm pipe, however there is a formula, and it may be your pipes cant cope, also when you opened the valves and let water in, your boiler pressure went down, did you replenish it, it should be 1 - 1.5 bar pressure.

Sponsored Links
So far, I cannot see any signs of a bleeding valve on those 2 radiators... I will inspect them thoroughly in daylight this week-end...

I wonder, if I only bleed the loft shower room towel rail radiators, will it solve the other 2 radiators as well?

DIYm1 said:
So far, I cannot see any signs of a bleeding valve on those 2 radiators... I will inspect them thoroughly in daylight this week-end...

I wonder, if I only bleed the loft shower room towel rail radiators, will it solve the other 2 radiators as well?

(1) Look at the top
(2) No

I have spotted the bleeding valves... At last!

They are well hidden in the top left hand corner facing the wall, in a groove - Not very conspicuous I have to say... No wonder I thought they did not exist.

Thanks for all the encouragement and help...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back