hot water tap wont turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a chrome type mixer tap in my kitchen and the other day when I went to turn off the hot water tap it went all the way up but the water kept coming.

I removed the tap and the cover so I am down to the spindle. I managed to prise off the little circlip between it and the base of the mixer main body. Thats where i am now as i cant remove the rest of it to get at the o rings or any washers.

Should that spindle etc pull out once I've got rid of the circlip? I've tried slapping on the WD40 but it wont budge. Trying to prise it out with screw drivers only bends & buggers up the metal of the spindle.

Its a B&Q mixer i had installed with my new kitchen about 3 years ago so it shouldnt be in that state already?

Any advice? Does it sound like a lost cause? Perhaps buying a new mixer for 40 quid or so would be cheaper than a plumbers visit...?

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Is this a wind up? Do you really think you repair a tap by prising it out with screwdrivers?
If the water can be turned off it would probably take someone with a brain cell, about 10 minutes.
Sure you could buy a cheap and nasty tap for about £40, but what would you do with it? Perhaps if you hit the old one with it, it would learn to work properly?
Full directions are here

ChrisR said:
Is this a wind up? Do you really think you repair a tap by prising it out with screwdrivers?
If the water can be turned off it would probably take someone with a brain cell, about 10 minutes.
Sure you could buy a cheap and nasty tap for about £40, but what would you do with it? Perhaps if you hit the old one with it, it would learn to work properly?
Full directions are here

Yeah thanks for that. Ok I'll assume you were having a bad day or something and ignore your rant.

Using my amazingly underpowered brain I was able to stop the flow by closing off the water supply under the sink with a twist of a screwdriver.

After taking off the tap i was left with the spindle exposed. According to my DIY manual there is a picture of said spindle attached to a larger lump of metal with the 'O' rings. It also says to remove the circlip, which i did, to get at the tap to come out. Sorry I'm not an expert on this as i just sit around all day programing on computers so dont really know much about plumbing.

Thats the part I am at as it wont come out. I used WD40 and a screwdriver in an attempt to encourage it to come out as using my bare fingers wasnt enough. I thought it was worth a try?

Does anyone have any useful advice as to why it wont come out from the mixer main body?

If you have taken the top cover off, you will probably see a large brass nut just above the chromed lower part of the tap. This is machined onto the internal parts which are screwed into the base.

Brass is a soft metal so best to use a spanner that is a good fit, or you may round it off.

Sponsored Links
thanks JohnD

I already tried that but it seems solid. The spanner was tight as i could get but it started to round the brass like you said so i stopped as i didnt want to damage it further.

if you do get it working and get funny coloured\tasting water.....remember that you have put oil on the tap body ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back