DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Fitting new consumer unit

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
bengee

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:15 pm Reply with quote

I would like to fit a new consumer unit, but how do i turn off the electricity supply, since the meter and main fuse are sealed by the electricity company?
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:47 pm Reply with quote

You need to get them to do it for you. Also they will probably want to inspect/test your new installation before re-connecting you.
 Alert Moderators

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:22 pm Reply with quote

Recently I rewired my house and following similar advice to above paid for professional electrician to inspect and provide test certificate. This electrician also did the "double pole" connection from below meter to new cons. unit. I called electricity company and was told - "As long as no one actually broke in to meter they did not care" !!. I looked carefully and the electrician had only removed a seal from a connection box below the meter and the meter seal is still intact.
Make of that what you will.
gilmour@gandrew.freeserve.co.uk
 Alert Moderators
bengee

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:59 pm Reply with quote

Did the electrician break the main 100A fuse seal too? Or just on the box that the fuse is on? Surely by breaking that seal (or even the fuse seal) someone would be able to get free electricity, so the electric company might get a bit concerned???
 Alert Moderators

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:21 am Reply with quote

I do not think any fused area was broken in to but I can look again tonight. As to your question about the boiler. Assuming it requires power only for the operating components (i.e. not to generate heat) then it will draw a small amount of power only. It should be wired from a fused connection switch with probably a 3 amp fuse being enough. The power can be drawn from wherever is convenient. In my case I did this from the kitchen light circuit which is on that half of cons. unit which is less likely to nuisance trip. If you are doing a lot of wiring I can recommend a book called the "Which book of wiring and lighting" which covers everything from wiring a plug to redoing your whole house. I found it absolutely invaluable and well worth the few quid. (It must have saved me well over that by stoppping me from making expensive mistakes).
gilmour@gandrew.freeserve.co.uk
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > General DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: