rover 75 mass air flow sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
mayby i should have posted this on the car maintainence page

i have just had my W reg 2lt diesel Rover 75 serviced at rover (at a cost of £300) and they said the MAF sensor needs replacing which will cost £270!!! so in the intrest of saving some dosh i have the following questions
1.can i buy one of these?
2 where is it on the engine?
3 can it be changed by a diy'er?
4 doe's it need to be set up on one of rover's computer things
or will the car's onboard engine managment system detect it?
5. what will happen to the engine if i do nothing?
The rover people said that it is disconected.
I have recently bought this car, so someone else must have disconnected it. I presume there is no warning light on because it is disconnected.

Sponsored Links
see dieselcar.com forums on VAG or general thread for many listings about MAFS

The MAF is the mass air flow sensor a sensor which tells the brain of the car how much air is coming and therefore how much fuel to load. If the MAF is faulty then you have to push the pedal harder to go anywhere. If you are unused to diesels or the Rover and bought like that then you may not even be aware that anything is wrong.

The MAF on VW can be taken off quite easily. It is barrel shaped and comes after the airbox and before the turbo etc. You ban remove it and clean it with a brake/carb cleaner [one that evaropates to dry] simply spray the parts and allow it to dry.

How to get a cheaper maf?
Ask on the dieselcar.com forum-if they cannot get it no one can

Thanks for the advice Treasa, I tried cleaning it and reconnecting it but the car ran worse than ever so i got inpatient an shot down to the rover dealers and got one from them at least i have saved £80 labour charges
but i have bookmarked the diesel site you recommended
thanks, Dave.... The Stanton Man

Shedloads of good advice and expert knowledge is avaliable for this criminally underrated car. Try

rover75MGZT@yahoogroups

And www.xpowerforums.com (Go to forums, then look up Rover 75)

Sponsored Links
I brought one for my Meriva from " probe distributors" Alot cheaper the dealer or most other places

Try a clean with electrical cleaner

Back