Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

When should I worry about cracks in my wall?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index > Building
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

from United Kingdom

Joined: 21 Oct 2003
Posts: 133
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote

This is the gable end wall of my house. We moved in about 8 years ago. The was a thin crack running down the wall of the upstairs bedroom. I cut back a little either side of the crack and filled. The crack has gradually reapeared.

The crack obviously follows the motar joints of the blockwork as it steps down the wall. It doesn't continue in to the living room below. Over the last year, other hairline cracks have appeared in the wall. ( the main crack being 1 to 2mm wide). I've just also noticed a 'step' in the plaster no more than 1-2 mm betwen either side of the worst part of the crack.

My question is who should I get in ?
Plasters to cut back plaster and replaster or a structural engineer incase it is structural icon_eek.gif
Would a plasterer let me know how serious it is?
Back to top
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.

from United Kingdom

Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 13256
Location: Birmingham,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1302 times

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote

I would only worry if it was a sudden crack of greater than 10mm, or if the crack got progressively wider over a period of 1-2 years - again upto 10mm. In addition, there would have to be corresponding cracks externaly too

Buildings will move, and when a crack appears in plaster it it will most likely keep reappearing despite your attepts to fill it. It only becomes an issue if it keeps getting wider, as then there is continuing movement.

An engineer will cost you in excess of £500 and may well arrange further tests (drainage and ground) for completeness with even more cost. But this may be wasted money at this stage.

A plasterer will not "let you know how serious it is" - that is unless he is a surveyor or engineer doing plastering on his days off and is qualified in these matters
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Richard C

from United Kingdom

Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Posts: 10589
Location: United Kingdom
Thanked: 990 times

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote

2 ways you can the repair the crack but first you have to establish if the block work/mortar is also cracked underneath. Put your finger firmly over the crack & tap one side of the wall with a light hammer, if you canít feel any differential movement between the 2 sides of the crack, itís superficial. If you can feel the one side of the crack moving independently of the other, itís almost certain that the blockwork has cracked underneath.

Superficial cracks can be sealed by raking out & filling with a flexible filler or you could tape over with glass fibre repair tape & skim over the area but this works best if your skimming the entire wall.

I suspect your crack is in the second category, & the best way to do this is to remove the plaster right back to the blockwork for 100 Ė 150mm ether side of the full length + of the crack (wider if itís a serious crack); leave a very rough edge to plaster up to or a new crack could appear along the join edge! Fix a 200mm strip of SS reinforcing steel mesh over the crack with galvanised nails, re-render to around 2-3mm below the surrounding area & then either re-plaster the repair level yourself or get someone in to do it for you.

Houses move around all the time (more so in the first 5-10 years) so there is no guarantee they wonít re-appear again but Iíve used both methods to repair some quiet serious older cracks on my 60ís house & they have not yet reappeared after more than 2 Ĺ years.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index > Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Similar Topics   Replies   Views   Posted 
Removing interior wall, do I need to worry 2 100 Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:56 am
Longstanding building movement? Anything to worry about? 8 1700 Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:07 am
New extension waste pipe worry 5 360 Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:15 pm
Is this crack anything to worry about? 3 760 Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:37 pm
sunsidence or nothing to worry about ?? 29 2600 Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:40 pm

Find an Expert | Find a Supplier | Search
Network | Advertising | Newsletter
DIY | DIY How To | @home | DIY Wiki | DIY Forum
By using this site you agree to our Terms of Service / Disclaimer.
Please read our Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2000-2015 DIYnot Limited.