Potential bad earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have recently purchased a new lamp for my bedroom and its one of these new touch lamps, touch the metal base and it witches off and on. The issue i have is that when i use it in my bedroom sockets i have to earth myself to allow it to work, when using it in other rooms i have no issues. Although i can get a new lamp i am now concerned that i may have a bad earth circuit. Any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
no they are both exposed floor boards, however when i rety the lmp in different areas in one room i find it works in places and not others. Also it works if i wear shoes ? not great for a bed side lamp ;)

If you're worried about using this type of lamp, don't!

Sponsored Links
What happens if you put it in one room and run it off an extension cord from the other room? (and try it both ways round)

I was more woried about have a bath earth connection rather than the lamp. I will get a crcuit tester to put my mind at rest.

note that a circuit tester (such as a plug in socket tester) will only tell you if there is some kind of earth etc it does not measure it to see how good it is unless you spend hundereds on a proper sparks unit. (although a few quid on a socket tester is handy as long as you bear the above in mind).

do the test adam suggested that will tell you a lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back