Wocester Bosch Highflow 400

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really am going to cry now. I have had a problem with my highflow 400 for the last 12 months. During that time I have seen about 7 different engineers. 1st problem was the pressure kept falling so nothing worked. Engineer just kept showing me how to adjust pressure valve. Got to the stage where this was happening every 2/3 days. Engineer said systems failure. Called in Woscester Bosch man. He changed Auto Air Vent and everything was OK for a week. Then radiators went cold/hot water was hit and miss but pressure was good so I'd hit the overheat thermostat button and it would work again. Some days I'd have to hit the button 6 times, other days only once. Called Wocester Bosch man out again today (could'nt take any more cold showers!!) He said pressure was down to 1/2 bar and divertor valve was "locked". Everything was checked and once again a systems failure was diagnosed. Before he left I turned on the hot tap and hey presto it worked. As soon as he'd gone I went to have a shower and the hot water wouldn't come on... I've sold my house and need to have this in good working order before I move (in 7 weeks). I've spoken to 3 plumbers tonight, trying to get someone to test my system. They all say this isn't the problem. Please Please can someone help. I'm at the end of my tether and am going crazy here.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the usual blocked hw heat exchanger / filter / manifold.....fun times ahead ;)

I would be very surprised if Dave Hickey was unable to sort it out for you.

I assume that he was not one of the seven?

Why not get him to call in?

Tony Glazier

Hi Tony Glazier, no Dave Hickey wasn't one of the seven..... Do you have a contact number for him please?? I've just been onto Woscester Bosch and told them that the situation is as it was before their guy came and "fixed"it so they're sending another (different) engineer out today. Fingers crossed but I'm really not that hopefull.

Sponsored Links
I'm an ex WB engineer. It really does sound like the primary filter or Heat ex is blocked.

ollski said:
Sounds like the usual blocked hw heat exchanger / filter / manifold.....fun times ahead ;)
Yep I agree. Classic fault on a rather unclassic boiler.
With engineers working on it who probably did or should know what it is, but probably didnt want to spend 6 hrs doing it.
:confused:
Stan

Yes, the 2nd engineer has been out and said the heat exchanger needs changing and it's a horrible job to do which is why yesterdays man didn't want to say it was that. Anyway he's coming back in the morning and expects to spend a couple of hours on it. He also said he'll "isolate and pressurize" the boiler so he can see if it's leaking or not. This guy seems to be a lot more knowledgable than the previous 7 but time alone will tell!! I'll let you know how it goes.

suemckinney said:
I've spoken to 3 plumbers tonight, trying to get someone to test my system. They all say this isn't the problem. Please Please can someone help. I'm at the end of my tether and am going crazy here.

Avoid plumbers, go to heating people.

OK, WB guy came today and changed the "plate heat exchanger". Great. Had hot radiators and hot water for about 6 hours, then the rads went cold but the water is still hot. I've looked at the pressure gauge and the needles are still on top of each other. I'll call WB in the morning and get them back out. I'll tell them that jiminblack and ollski think it's the primary filter or the manifold!! Fingers crossed (again).

Is the timer and room stat calling for heat?, I would hazard a guess he changed the top manifold including the filter when he replaced the hx.

Hi ollski, heatingis set to be on and we don't have room stat. Radiator controls are set at 3, from a choice of 0 to 6. I'm not sure how radiator controls work. I always thought it meant that they wouldn't get roasting hot (as they would on 6) but now I'm thinking that maybe they get to a certain heat and then swithch off?? Anyway, I couldn't call WB because I was at work and husband had to take the dog to the vet and forgot but.... heating and hot water came on this morning (praise be to the Lord!!) so it just may be fixed. I'll be keeping a close eye on it over the next few days and if you don't hear from me it's because all is well. Many thanks to those who offered advice, it was very much appreciated and a great comfort to know that people out their sympathised with and understood my problem. Thanks, Sue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back