Small/City Garden Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Have been on the look out for a good forum to join to get some good advice/tips for my up and coming project. This one looks excellant. Congrats to all involved.

Anyway im a complete novice and looking to embark on revitalising my garden which currently is a 20m x 5m grass slightly sloping rectangle with wooden paneling all around (some falling down) fixed to broken wood posts. Its also only accessible through the flat. Pics to be posted shortly.

Im looking advice on the following:
1. Replacing Paneling and Posts (wood/concrete?), and best material to keep these upright, concrete/mortar? :)

2. Paving/Decking, whats the best method to someone who is a complete novice. From what i read decking looks a bit tickier.

Anyone here embarked on something similar and have any advice on the above or some design advice?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Fencing:

Concrete posts are 800% better than wooden ones. You can also use concrete gravel boards which also do not rot and are good to use slightly into the ground. You can dig a passage for hedgehogs if you like.

The posts need to be set in concrete. You can paint the posts and gravel boards with dark brown masonry paint (preferably before fitting) it will protect them from weathering and tone in with the stained wood panels. I think it looks quite attractive. I posted some pics earlier on
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72939&highlight=attractive

Once you have dug out rotten wooden fence posts set in concrete you will resolve never to use them again.

The posts and gravel boards are easier to carry about with two people. Don't try to carry them in your car, have them delivered. They are heavy.

im not getting into that debate again john!

it all depends on what style of garden you are going to go for. With regards fencing, go to a decent fencing supplier and dont get the stuff from the diy sheds. Its low quality and a waste of money. Make sure you spend the effort on putting in the posts in nice and deep with concrete. DONT use metposts, they are pants!

decking and patios

depends on what you like the look of and what the garden is like and access.
decking is generally quicker and easier to do and more suitable to a sloping site. A decent patio is hardwork and the work is in the preperation and the sub-base, as well as the laying.

these sites will give you a ggod idea, but again dont get the stuff in a diy shed. decking in these is thin and of poor quality. The slabs are generally the overpriced lower end stuff that you will get cheaper from a builders merchant/stone merchant if you get all the cement, sand etc at the same time.

have a look at

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

or

www.richardburbidge.co.uk

that has a good range of designs and a full downloadable guide to installation.

Any other queries ask away. You could always get a professional to design it for you ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back