Fitting new taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a two holed mixer tap for my kitchen sink and tried to fit it myself.... i removed the old ones, then the new ones were slightly too long so i sawed the ends off and fitted them. Now when i turn the tap on the water leaks from the join at the top. I have bought a file and some new washers and ptfe tape and plumbers putty. will any of this help or am i going to have to call a plumber? oh and i undid the compression valve at the bottom and i think that leaks a bit too.... please can anyone help me ? :(

Sponsored Links
make sure the surface is flat then use a rubber washer on them, the service needs new ptfe round the olive and tighten back up

thanks! i have got fibre washers (red ones). will they do or do i need to go back to b&q?

you need to get the ends you cut flat and square if you still have the old backnuts screw one on and use it as a guide if it isn't square to the thread it won't seal ;)

Sponsored Links
thankyou all. this site is great, none of the diy websites have helped me a t all. i thought i'd ruined them but it seems fixable. hopefully i'll get it fixed tomorrow and won't have to do the washing up in the bath anymore :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back