testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HOw can you tell from testing results the difference between a radial circuit and a final ring circuit?

Sponsored Links
Hello,
(I'll have a go, :eek:)

r1 + r2 ,rn 'readings' are only possible on 'a1' ring main circuits ????.

Hows that for starters ?

cheers eddie, i'm not qualified YET either, however r1 and r2 are the readings at the socket and the cpc, I don't see how this would distinguish radial from final ring

Hi oharaf,

r1, r2, rn are continuity readings, ( the whole loop), Maybe you are mixing up your R1,R2 and your r1, r2's ?? ;)

Sponsored Links
Doh! ~Ta take your point to much reading not enough thinking thats my problem!!!

Desperately trying to finish the first 2 years of training within 6 months, so I try to complete the paper work at home and do the practical stuff at college..

Are the test results marked on a test cert? If so the test cert has a tick box to indicate its a ring.

However if you unsure the resistance reading obtained at each socket outlet of a ring circuit will be approx 1/4 of the resistance of the phase plus cpc loop resistances i.e. (r1 +r2)/4 look on page 34 of GN3 for more details

Thanks Rob, the readings aren't on a cert it is an exercise i've to do for college.

The question is;

"Is there any way we can tell from the results recorded, whether a socket oulet is part of the ring final circuit or a spur from the ring?"

Can you help on this one?

Cheers

cross connect legs of ring at cu (p/n). now test between p/n at each socket reading should be the same or within 0.05 ohm at each socket (this will be 1/2 the r1 or r2 loop reading) any large rise in reading will be a good indication that the socket will probably be a spur from final ring.

Then do the same with p/e to get your R1+R2.

That is great comms, I was only doing the cross cenection test last week, but it was only on a ring with no spur.

Would this apply even if the spur was a fused spur?

Same for fused spur but of course you cant plug your socket tester in a fused spur so you will have to take the cover off.
The reading is higher as you are distrupting the measurement of the ring by measuring from a spur off the ring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back