prewash light flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a hotpoint aquarius wf220 and for the last few weeks the prewash light keeps flashing when u put the machine on to wash.u start it then after bout 10/15 mins it flashes so it then takes hrs for the machine to finish the wash, it also comes on when u rinse n spin this used to take about 15/20 mins to do but now takes anything up 2 2/3hrs so have to cancel it an then put it on spin.... my partner has taken the lid off n cleaned all the dust out as the machine is bout 3/4 yrs old ...i do atleast 3 loads of washing a day so its starting to hack me off now any ideas on how to solve this mystery wuld be welcome

Sponsored Links
It is most likely the computer board. We are seeing more and more of this series of machines with board faults. Some just need reprogramming, others have to have a complete new board, either way the board as to come out and be sent away. We are doing it all the time with these types of new'ish machines. From sending away to being back with customer 3-4 days

Prewash light flashing is a fill problem.
Most likely a faulty inlet valve or if drain hose is in a stand pipe it could be syphoning.
Check the inlet valves to see if one has gone open circuit.

Sponsored Links
Sleepyhead said:
Prewash light flashing is a fill problem.
Most likely a faulty inlet valve or if drain hose is in a stand pipe it could be syphoning.
Check the inlet valves to see if one has gone open circuit.

well we moved the outlet pipe up and hey presto its stopped flashing an now does the wash cycle in less than an hrhalf

thanx again for suggestions

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. It's always helpful for anyone else searching for an answer to the same problem.

ok i'm back again with the same problem but now theres more to it

1 the light is constantly flashing now but if my partner pours jugs of water down the drawer the light stops for a bit

2 its not always dissolving the washing powder tablets i put in the drawer/ softner tablets

3 it takes about 4 hrs to do 1 load as it just keeps going on n on n on so have to manually change it to spin/rinse

4 when we moved into the property (june06) we only just noticed that the pipes are round wrong way... the cold pipe is actually the hot and the hot is actually the cold so we changed the intake pipes round ( it was at one poiont making the dishwasher playup as well as it werent rinsing the rinse aid of properlly b4 drying it)

any ideas or would it be easier to buy a new washing machine....my partner now thinks it may be the heat thermastat

One of the inlet valves is playing up.
By pouring water in you've proved that it's not getting enough water.
Check or just change the cold water inlet valves.

I had a flashing Prewash light and long cycle-times, too.
Today, I am washing successfully again.
My secret?
The instructions say to turn the power off when not in use. Do you?
When I get this problem, or other flashing lights, I turn the machine off for a minute or so, then back on again.
This has cleared three different problems of roughly this kind.

If the errors start to come back quickly, you should check:

1. The outlet pipe, for blockages or feeding into a blocked outlet
2. The pump: is something jammed in it?
3. The trap on the bottom of the machine: is it filled up? (Hard work; be careful!) (It is difficult to remove without damaging anything, and put back on, and you have to clean it very thoroughly before refitting)
4. The soap dispenser tray: is it gunked up badly? Wash that mould off!
5. Does the water dribble in? Check the inlet pipes, the filter where they come in, and the water valves in extremity.

I might add that passing problems involving the controller like this appear to get more frequent as the machine ages. I guess this is why service people change the boards when old: they get more sensitive to electrical interference, and replacing them cures many problems of this kind.

Hmm!

Having said how my "secret" was to power-cycle, with a few other points added, I have to admit now that this was not the solution.

The truth is that one of the two solenoid valves on the cold water inlet had gone open-circuit. When I jiggled the connector, it briefly burst into life; but it soon failed again. On removal, no amount of mechanical force gave any sign of electrical connection. The coils must have failed internally.

A new pair of cold inlet solenoids (costing £20 because of the custom electrical connectors) via an experienced local supplier, W.G. Grace of Swindon, gave us a working machine again. The old pair of valves has to be twisted out using a pair of small screwdrivers to free the stubby locking pins and the new one twisted in; be careful not to crack the mounting panel. The hoses just push on and off; if they look loose, replace them. The new solenoids have a redesigned connector, which allows you to easily probe them electrically and looks more durable. A useful upgrade, perhaps.

The light flashes because the machine has spent a while opening the inlet valve for rinsing and has not found any water in the tub. This leads to a really long cycle with the Prewash light flashing. If the valve has failed completely, rather than there just being a partial blockage, the rinse will not succeed.

Note that the two separate cold inlet valves are used for wash filling and for rinsing; so the fact that the tub fills to wash is no guarantee it will work for rinsing.

Sorry if I misled anyone. A failed solenoid or stuck valve can not be overcome by anything less than replacement in most cases.

that was what turned out to be my problem the solinoid had gone cost £50 an worked like a baby till this week grrrrrrrrrrrr

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back