Bleeding radiator help required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a radiator that is cold a the top and hot at the bottom. I therefore believe I need to bleed the radiator. I have a Glow Worm Compact 100e combi boiler. Do I bleed the radiator with the boiler on or off?

My sister had a combi boiler at her last house and was left with no hot water (due to the boiler losing pressure) after she bled her radiators.

I'd be grateful for any advice that means I won't be having a cold shower before going to work in the morning!

Sponsored Links
Bleed it with boiler off.
Make a note of the pressure before you bleed it, because it will drop slightly as you bleed it.
You may have restore the pressure it the original reading using the filling loop. Make sure you have the filling loop before you start.
Also open the valve very slowly and observe the pressure increase.
I bled mine today ( 1 small radiator) and the pressure dropped from 1.3 bar to 1.2 bar and I have not bothered to restore the pressure as yet.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi,

Does the system need to be cold when you bleed the radiator, or is it okay to switch the bolier off and bleed the radiator while the system is still hot?

We have a combi boiler and I bled our radiators with the system on a few months ago, and we ended up with no hot water -needless to say the flatmates weren't happy.

Now my radiator needs bleeding again, dont want to make the same mistake twice.

cheers

Does the system need to be cold when you bleed the radiator,
No.

is it okay to switch the bolier off and bleed the radiator while the system is still hot?

Yes, but if you get a spray of water on you it will be hot!

Follow the instructions from Mandate and you should be OK.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back