Light switch shorting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My first post and would be glad for some advice.

I have a wall light switch that controls the halogen lights in the kitchen ceiling. I tried to switch on lights recently and i heard a crackle from the switch, no lights came on and the breaker \\\'tripped\\\'. Tried again, and the switch stuck in off position. I presumed faulty switch. Wired in new switch and the same happened again? I now suspect problem with bulbs or low voltage transformers? Is there a DIY way to trouble shoot to problem? There are just 4 low voltage halogen downlighters controled by this 1 switch on a two gang plate. Other switch works fine with the counter top lighting.

Any help before i have to call out an electrician would be much appreciated!

thanks

Erasmo

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a short circuit. The switches are welding shut, hence they wont move. Did you do anything at all to the circuit?

You could try opening up the light fitting and checking for wires touching where they shouldn't be. Or if the loop-in is at the switch, open that up and check for loose wires there too. First identify which type of circuit you have. There are diagrams in the WIKI and the "for reference" topic, to help identify what you're dealing with. We're here if you need any help.

hi crafty

thanks for the reply,

I've checked the inside of the switch and it all seems fine to my non expert eye but there is a bit of charing/melting on L1 connection so it seems a short somewhere?

I'll check out WIKI for reference but i may also post a picture of the switch connections for an expert opinion.

Nothing has been done to the circuit and non of the halogen bulbs seem blown?

I'll keep you posted

many thanks

erasmo

I would guess the transformer is a dead short or the cable to it has been melted and shorted by the heat from a lamp.

Also a bit sus the switch welding on a 6 amp lighting short, is it on the lighting circuit or from a power circuit.

Sponsored Links
Hi bernardgreen,

i think the short is on the lighting side in the switch but i should post a picture so you guys can advise. In meantime, i'll check cables and see if i can find the transformers (is it normally a transformer per light or could there be 1 for the 4 lights?)

again, many thanks for help

Erasmo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back