Removing upvc beads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of my DG units need replacing but I'm not sure how to get the beads off in order to expose the Dg units. I don't want to go forcing things where there's glass concerned. Anyone got any tips?

Kev.

Sponsored Links
Depend which type you have,

a) Remove the rubber sealant on the opposite side of the beading then push glass back then unclip the beading

Or

b) If it's moulded type frame on the outside then in the middle of the longest beading use a very blunt screwdriver tool just under the beading clip push in and twist the screwdriver very carefully and it should lift

Thanks guys,

I removed the glass as follows:

Note: my units are internally glazed - the steps below were all carried out on the inside (fortunately where it's nice and warm and dry!)

1. Pull out black rubber seals on the inside.
2. Push the white upvc beads (possible once the black seals had been removed) so that they go up against the glass.
3. use a thin scraper to lever top bead a little and then pull it out.
4. Pull out side beads in same way.
5. Pull out bottom bead in same way.

Note: it was difficult to remove the bottom bead because it wouldn't push up against the glass. This was due to the fact that the glass was resting on 2 small plastic supports which hadn't been trimmed and consequently impeded the movement of the bead. Once the other 3 beads were out the bottom bead came out easily.

Cheers,

Kev.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back