Bath positioning and soil stack question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two separate questions really, I'm not sure if they should be in here or the building forum!

Got a guy in fitting my new bathroom at the end of the week, he is fitting an 1800 x 800 bath which has a max capacity of 150 litres. So circa 170kg for a full bath and no people..

The original 1700 x 700 bath was placed across the joists but the new plan that the "designer" did has the new bath rotated through 90deg placed in the same direction as the joists...

This has me slightly worried as the load isn't spread over so many joists... Should they have consulted a structural guy? Or is it perfectly ok as is?

The other thing was that the entry onto the soil stack needed rotating as the toilet is supposed to be fitted against another wall in the new plan. When it was all ripped out at the end of last week he just pulled the pan waste pipe round and the whole stack above it twisted with it!

Above the bathroom the stack goes through the loft then it goes out side through the roof. Won't this have broken any water tight seal where it meets the roof? Or does it just sit inside a special kinda roof tile?

Sponsored Links
Sit the bath feet on bearers which will spread the weight over the floor more, no problem with that.

The soil stack may have turned ok depending on the type of roof flashing/age etc, hard to tell without seeing it.

Ditto denso13; I upgraded my 1700x700 to 1800x800 with length running with joists over a year ago. I used bearers under the legs at each end of the bath and no probs. Bearers where about 3" x 3/4" x 700mm.

Best thing is to just ask him about the soil stack.

BTW the bearer thingy was an NHBC requirement so I just do it anytime I fit a bath. :)

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the replies guys.

Puts my mind at rest...

Apparently the old bath that was installed around 20 years ago had sprung a bit of a leak which in turn had rotted the chip board under the bath... one of the feet had started to push through.

Could have well ended up bathing in the kitchen if the whole lot had dropped through!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back