Floor preparation/Levelling suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please advise on the best product to use for correcting a level discrepancy on the Kitchen floor I wish to Tile?

The extended part of the Kitchen is approx 1cm higher then the main Kitchen. Both surfaces are Concrete. I attempted to lower the level of the extension floor but hit problems that prevented me. Therefore, without raising the rest of the Kitchen floor up to meet the extension level, my only option is to feather out the discrepancy. I want to do this using the tiles and the adhesive, but that would mean some parts of adhesive would be quite thick and some a lot thinner. Could someone please suggest what I could use?

Sponsored Links
See this, you need floor levelling compound, some of them go up to 30mm thickness.Latex is a well known brand, also see this for info.

Thank you for the response.

From your reply I gather that a thinbed screed feathered from 1 cm out to nothing is the best approach? I assume that a Self Levelling Compound would mean that I would have to level the whole Kitchen which would give me a 1 cm step in the Kitchen doorway (Before tiling).

Can I not just level each Tile a bit like laying a patio (or the way I lay a patio anyway ;) ) and fade out the step that way? If so is there an adhesive suitable for the job?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
greenep said:
Can I not just level each Tile a bit like laying a patio (or the way I lay a patio anyway ;) ) and fade out the step that way? If so is there an adhesive suitable for the job?
You can but you're making hard work for yourself, but to level out from 1cm to far as you can go.This way the floor tile adhesive will be the same thickness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back