capture1.jpg
capture2.jpg

Hi,

I have a Randall 972 programmer

Ideal Elan 2 boiler

Holywell L641A Clyinder Stat

Holywell V4073A Mid position Valve

Holywell T6360B Room Stat.

Now, the heating stopped working today. I had a look, wife moaning she was cold etc...

Called a plumber out. What I have been told is that the room stat is doing nothing, not working. I have to have the Mid Position valve on manual, and I have to use the cylinder stat to have the rad's on, as the wiring into the 10 way junction box is wrong, and I need an electrition to fix it. I paid him, and he went.

I decided to have a look for myself after he left. On the programmer, when I put the heating on constant the pump in the airing cupboard is not working. I can adjust the room thermo up and down and nothing happens.

For the room stat, there is no no: 2 (going to no 2 on j/box) there is a no: 1 (going to no 4 on j/box) and a no 3(going to no 5 on j/box)

I am a little stuck as to where to go from here. Basically all this time the CH switch on the programmer has not worked, and the room thermo has not worked. We have lived here for 5 years!!!

The diagram on the left is what I found on the web, on the right is how mine is wired up. All is that same apart from the highlighted red box's.

What do I need to do about the room stat, if there is no no2 wire, for it. Is this why it does not work?. When I press the CH switch on the CH programmer, how can I find out why this is not working? (except when the HW is on)

And how can I have the CH on without the HW. At the moment this can't happen.

Sponsored Links
This how the room thermostat should be wired here As you can see you must have neutral.

Having battled with a mis-wired system for some time I found the best way to get it working was to follow the instructions!! If it's wired up according to the circuit a) it will work & b) it makes life easier for those who follow you. That's probably not what you wanted to know!

If it is wired up correctly the CH will be controlled by the CH zone valve and the HW by its valve and you can have one or other or both depending on the settings.

There's a bit more info here

Of course the worrying thing is what has stopped working (even though it's been wired up incorrectly something has changed). If you get it to a state that should work then at least you have a fighting chance of finding out what's wrong.

I haven't been through all of it yet, but your diagram on the right is wrong as the boiler and pump have no supply live. If you put the orange wire from the valve to terminal 9 this will correct that part, BUT, I suspect there are other things to correct.

The best thing to do is to mark all the wires, disconnect them, and rewire according to one of the honeywell diagrams. For good measure it would be worth investing in some bootlace ferrules and a crimp tool too. It saves SO much trouple when you have to replace the valve head (and you will :D :)

Sponsored Links
Right had a good look, Changed the witing about a little, basically i had a switched live going into no 9, which i did not need as my boiler doesn't support it. I have changed it back to the N and wired it to no 2 as per the diagram. Pump L has been changed to no 8 aswell. There was a N room stat, hidden, so that is in place. Now basically the wiring in the J/Box is the same as the diagram.

Switched on heating...... No still not working independetly.

So I had a look at the Programmer.

capture4.jpg

Now shouldn't I have something going into no 4? (Heating off) Could this be why the heating is not working on its own? I tried to look for a Randall 972 wiring diagram but could not find one. If something should go there, where would it connect to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back