Cooker hood - twin core flex, OK via plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have just fitted my new canopy hood, it stipulates that it should not be earthed and as such, the flex is just dual core. Now 'ideally' this should be connect to a fused spur, which I am quite capable of doing...

However, this would involve a fair bit of chasing (poor planning on my part) and there is a socket positioed very conveniently nearby. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just plug the fan in via a standard 13amp plug?

Anything I'm missing?

thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
If the plug is fused suitably (3/5A, check the manual) there is no issue with you connecting it via a standard plug.

Davy

except that it is much more unsightly than having an FCU above the wortop, feeding a cable chased into the wall up to a flex outlet adjacent to the cooker.

Maybe next time you're decorating?

Thanks for the input.

I actually have the cabinet nextdoor to the fan which has a socket in it (also a built in microwave in the wall unit).

I was simply going to chase the 8 inches from the cooker hood horizontally and the flex emerges in the cabinet beside the socket.

I suppose I am being a tad lazy, I could just run spur from this socket via a fused outlet....

Thanks for info.,.

Sponsored Links
JohnD, Its only unsightly if you can see it. My hood is on a plug. There is an advange using plugs, they are easier to unplug.
If the kitchen is designed then sockets can be out of sight for things such as Hoods & M/waves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back