Tips on drilling metal blank plate accurately

mo2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have quite a few blank plates to drill and am printing templates from Microsoft Word and taping them on. I then mark the holes with a hammer and nail and then drill, this isn't totally accurate, so any tips on how to improve it would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Depending on the thickness of the 'job' to be drilled I'd put tape over the drill hole area and then the template over the top.

The tape, being soft tends to act as a ideal centring material and the drill shouldn't skip / jump or slide.

I won't state the obvious about using a centre stand with drill rather than a hand held, hand controlled drill.

Easiest way to drill accurate holes is with a pillar drill. Even the cheapest jobbie will be miles ahead of any hand held drill.

Tape over where the hole is to be drilled with masking tape, then a good firm tap with a centre punch / nail. Then use a very small drill bit to make a pilot hole for the full size bit.

Sorry if this is obvious but there really isn't much else to it.

Davy

thanks

Masking Tape, right?

and unfortunately i don't have access to a center stand drill :(

Sponsored Links
I am fairly certain that provided you drill has a standard 43mm drill collar where a side handle can be clamped to the drill behind the chuck this stand will work with your drill.

edited to be less woolley

Very clever!

I meant what job is the end product fulfilling?

If you've got quite a few to do, it may pay to make a simple drilling jig. It could be just a bit of sheet steel screwed to a bit of ply. Mark out and drill it accurately, then clamp each plate in turn between the steel and plywood using the screws as a register for accurate location, stick it under your pillar drill/drill stand and away you go.

One marking out job for as many bits as you want......

A lot of the sheds sell little pillar drills like this....
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...path/drill-presses-pillar-drills/brand/clarke

securespark said:
Very clever!

I meant what job is the end product fulfilling?

audio sockets, using gold plated phono chasis sockets and brass blank plates. The stupid supplier told me he could get the rest of the blank plates(I only have one right now) in a weeks time, but it has already been three weeks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back