Performa 18 HE - constant humming noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
this boiler has been installed 2 weeks ago. Whenever the heating comes on a loud hum / whine starts. I suspect it\\\'s the flow speed which may be too high. The prev. boiler was an older Potterton model with a separate pump, when this was set to \\\'high\\\' the exact same noise happened. At \\\'medium\\\' it was fine. But the new model has the pump integrated, the installer says there\\\'s no way to influence the flow speed, and the noise is normal. Any ideas?
PS: I am not sure what happened to my previous post, I can\\\'t find it...

Sponsored Links
///// //// ///////// ////////// //// // //////////// ///////// ////////// ////////// ///////// // // /// ///////// /// /// :evil:

yep, am waiting to hear from them. I'm preparing myself to be told 'it's normal' . I'll come back with "what happened next".

Sponsored Links
Are all the isolating valves under the boiler set fully open?

Tony

Hi, finally the update.
Potterton sent an engineer. Note that here in Ireland this visit has to be arranged through the plumber who did the installation..
Engineer confirmed that the plumber had set everything up correctly and that the pipe size was ok too, and that the noise was 'normal'. As expected, basically.

But he did also confirm something I had found in the installers manual: the normal replacement pump for this model ( Grundfos) would have a flow speed setting on it ( as opposed to the original). The manual recommends that this be set to '3'. The Potterton man confirmed he didn't think setting it to '2' woud be causing problems of any kind.

The installer was very reluctant to 'waste' my money on exchanging the pump, as he didn't think it would help. But in the end he did the exchange, the pump was set to '2' and NOW ALL IS WELL!!!

I don't even know whether the heating is on, the boiler is so quiet.

You need poxi or baxpoti or baxman to visit under warranty! Sorry fellas no offence but as I have said before others on the heat team team are not up to your standard :rolleyes:

OP I take it you didn't have to pay for the pump replacement as it was under warranty :eek: If you did then you have certainly been had :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back