Oh Dear, it's spreading down from Leeds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Isolator.jpg

Sponsored Links
Perhaps someone could explain to those of us who have never seen inside such an isolator, what would be expected inside there, and indeed, what exactly is wrong with the way it is there.

Sponsored Links
Gaz the Sparky said:
Never Knew 2 core T&E could be used for three phase wiring :eek:

GTS:cool:

Thats we thought then realised it's single phase. Incoming red=phase, yellow=earth and blue=neutral :eek: and the neutral block has been used as earth block :eek: linked to the earth stud with a bit of red cable :eek: :LOL:

....and yes, the earth, neutral and live were all fused at 32amps

Crafty...3 phase switch fuse. Neutral should go into the block top left. 3 phase in at the bottom and 1 fused circuit out of the top. Earth should go on the stud bottom right

Not too sure on how much use SWA glands are on twin and earth too, does it meet ip4x?? :eek:
Asbestos flash pads??

Spark123 said:
Not too sure on how much use SWA glands are on twin and earth too, does it meet ip4x?? :eek:
those look more like conduit ends to me, hard to tell without a better pic though

i'm thinking the cable was probablly taken out of service at some stage in its life and then recommissioned by someone who didn't know what they were doing. I can't imagine an incompetant installing a 3 phase switchfuse but if it was already there on the end of a dead cable.......

what was at the other end of the SWA?

Plug, you're right. I'm not sure what it originally feed but when we carried out the PIR it was feeding sockets & lights. The SWA submain used to be TP without a neutral and someone converted it to single phase.

isolator1.jpg

This was in the social club part of a sailing club so I would guess the sparks was a DIY member of the sailing club.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back