Fence Post ? Concrete or Wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to build a vertical boarded fence, approx 2m in height, with gaps in between the boards. Should i use concrete posts or wooden posts ? i have seen a lot of fences locally in wooden posts which look good and are probably cheaper, but i thought they would rot over time ? Does anyone have any thoughts on this ? Soil conditions are clay below the topsoil if that makes a difference

Thanks advance for your help

Sponsored Links
Concrete.

They are a bit dearer to buy, and a lot heavier to hump around, but if you have ever had to get a huge lump of concrete out of the ground after a wooden post has rotted and broken off, you will resolve never to use wooden posts again.

For beauty, you can paint the concrete posts and concrete gravel boards (which I also recommend) with dark brown masonry paint to make them blend in with the stained timber. It is much easier to paint them before installation.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n228/JohnD_UK/POL_0108.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n228/JohnD_UK/POL_0107.jpg

I'd go with what John said.

The concrete posts will stay solid for much much longer.

dont think me and john will ever agree on this one! :LOL:

depends on what look you like. Concrete can look ugly when it starts to break down and spall off, especially near the coast. If you are going to use timber your better going for 4 inch posts. they will last years longer than a 3 inch post. I personally think timber looks better, and i hump out lumps of concrete from fences all the time at work! each to his own though ;)

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
... i hump out lumps of concrete from fences all the time at work!

Thermo is a big strong feller, I'm just a weed :LOL:

Either or, I'm sitting on the fence with this one. :cool:

If any part of the fence backs onto an area where vehicles pass by then use timber. Only takes a small knock from a careless driver and a concrete post will crack. Timber posts are easier to repair/replace.

With concrete posts the panels can rattle in the wind, and can get a tad annoying. With timber posts, the panels can be screws in tight, so no rattle. Also any repair work due to wind damage is a lot easier with timber posts

True, I've used concrete posts and covered the post in timber, no rattle and no rot at the bottom of the posts in the future :D

There's a photo of it somewhere on here, god know where it is :LOL:

cuttertree said:
With concrete posts the panels can rattle in the wind, and can get a tad annoying. With timber posts, the panels can be screws in tight, so no rattle. Also any repair work due to wind damage is a lot easier with timber posts

you can use wedges to stop that

yeah but eventually thay seem to work there way lose!

i put a concerite fence up last year! it looks grate, dug out 21inch as i was advesed. it wasnt going anywere.
but unfortinatly we had really bad winds at 70mph, it snapped one of the posts :evil: :evil: only 1 out of 21 posts so im hopeing it was a fault in the post itself. that windspell we had give the fence a good test and the rest of the fencing didnt move. i just hope it carrys on that way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back