Shower Cubicle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

I have recently been asked to tile a bathroom for a friend. They have recently had a bath taken out and a shower cubicle put in. However, where the bath used to be which is where the cubicle now is, is basically back to brick. The shower has been installed but with a gaping hole underneath it and so this would require building up to flush. They want the new tiles to go on top of the old tiles aswell, which I must admit I dont fancy doing.

My question is would you bring the wall where the bath used to be, to level with the tiles with the use of render or would you board it ( there is abig enough gap) and also am I right to be concerned in regards to tiling on top of the old tiles , especially in an area which is constantly to be wet.
Many Thanks

Wez

Sponsored Links
You can build out the level with plasterboard and dry wall adhesive. If it's to be in a shower area you should tank it though.
There's no real drama with tiling over tiles so long as they're fixed well and the wall can handle the extra weight. The tiles need to be cleaned with sugar soap, rinsed and dried before you tile though.

Thanks gcol,

So if I dot and dab a piece of plasterboard on and then tank it and simply tile over the existing tiles in the other areas.
Also, just to pick your brains gcol, if the cubicle had have been freshly plastered, would I tank the area and tile on top of that.

Appreciated.

Wez

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back