chasing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I cant chase a cable horizontally I have got a lot of chasing to do. Whats the best tool for the job? any tips?

Sponsored Links
Gone are the days with hammer and bolster.

Anyway i have included some wall chasers here. You do pay for what you get. I have the Makita and it is very very good. Makita another is Ferm which is sold at screwfix, i've used one of these also and then there is Metabo MFE Which you can get from tooled-up.com.

There are loads of chasers and obviously cost is an issue if you are only going to be using the tool on a handful of occassions. If so you may want to try hiring Aplant or Hire Center

Just have a little search and read some of the reviews for the products. I also believe that this forum gives some adaptions for wall chasing tools.

You can go horizontally in some circumstances - what do you need to achieve?

Not according to FWL you can't. But I reckon if you put the cable in galv conduit, that should be bomb ( and FWL!) proof.....

Sponsored Links
The IEE OSG suggests that permitted cable routes from an accessory box can be directly vertical or directly horizontal without cable protection.Also if cables are within 150mm of a wall/wall corner or in a wall within 150mm of a ceiling. Cable protection is only required if a cable run is diagonal at a depth of less than 50mm. Am I missing something here?

XP This is what FWL said in another post:

FWL_Engineer said:
sb99 said:
I would say that installing cables horizontally with adequate protection between accessories is fully compliant with 522-06-06 of te IEE Regulation. I stand to be corrected if if I have misinterpreted. :?:

Believe me you have not misinterpreted.

It may not be a breach of the regs in the technical sense, but it is bad practise and prone to disaster.

It is YET ANOTHER example of the Regs being written by pen pushers who do not live in the world everyone else does.

The Guys who wrote the regs have only got their hands dirty when falling over!!

Sorry, missed the previous post from FWL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back