Heating of hot water requires CH to be on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal combi boiler ( about 5 yrs old) and ever since it was serviced at the end of last year, have been experiencing the following:

In order to get heat water from the taps, I need to turn the CH ON and turn the CH temperature setting up. ( i.e. water temp setting has little or no affect).

I'm a bit stumped, but wondered if someone here has any ideas.
Some other possibly relevant info:

a) When the boiler was serviced, the heating was left full on when he finished. Without noticing, my wife went out shopping for a few hours, and returned to find the boiler bouncing off the wall. I only mention this in case something could have burned out.

b) There is an old mechanical (i.e. pegs) timer on the boiler. It seems capable of switching the heating on/off, but it keeps lousy time so cannot be relied upon ( some days it loses up to 4 hours, other days it's fine.)

Any advice would be very gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

SteveO.

Sponsored Links
smo59 said:
I have an Ideal combi boiler ( about 5 yrs old) and ever since it was serviced at the end of last year, have been experiencing the following:

In order to get heat water from the taps, I need to turn the CH ON and turn the CH temperature setting up. ( i.e. water temp setting has little or no affect).

I'm a bit stumped, but wondered if someone here has any ideas.
Some other possibly relevant info:

a) When the boiler was serviced, the heating was left full on when he finished. Without noticing, my wife went out shopping for a few hours, and returned to find the boiler bouncing off the wall. I only mention this in case something could have burned out.

b) There is an old mechanical (i.e. pegs) timer on the boiler. It seems capable of switching the heating on/off, but it keeps lousy time so cannot be relied upon ( some days it loses up to 4 hours, other days it's fine.)

Any advice would be very gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

SteveO.
That will probably be a £6 Diaphragm needed :D
Plus someone to fit it...what boiler is it :?:

HI Lagerkhan,

It's an Ideal C80FF boiler.

I'll have a look about at what the diaphragm does and how much to replace it.

Presumably, this is a job for a properly registered plumber and not just something I can do?

Sponsored Links
Its not illegal for you to do it PROVIDING you can do it safely without getting electrocuted !

Its not terribly difficult for me but I do sometimes encounter boiler installers who dont feel competent to do it themselves.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back