Dripping noise in radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Particularly at night, in one of the bedrooms, the radiator sounds as though it is dripping quite loudly. However, there is no water coming out. Please help.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm having the exact same problem as above, so if anyone could help on this it would be greatly appreciated.

I am having the same problem... please help... it's really loud at night

Try bleeding them to see if there's any air in them. This is the normal cause of noise in rads.

Sponsored Links
Are you certain that it's dripping?
It could be simply that the rads are cooling down, and what you are hearing is the pipework/radiator contracting.
Just a thought....
Thanks

Totally positive its a dripping noise.

Tried bleeding it and that didnt work and they make that noise constantly, whether cold, hot or somewhere in between.

They make that noise whether cold or hot and its loud ! You sure you've not had a tap on your head ?

Anybody had any new thoughts on this issue as i've started having the same problem ...
I recently disconected a radiator for a plastering job ... when I reconnected the radiator obviously it needed bleeding ... so having bled one radiator I thought I might as well do the others ... which I did ... everybody happy ...

Apart from the fact that one of the upstairs radiators is making the continual dripping noise others have described ... the radiator has been bled ... the pressure in the system looks OK ... can't see any water leaking anywhere ... i'm now a bit confused.

Anyone with any suggestions much appreciated
Cheers

I am getting the same issue in my house, which has just been redecorated (piping also replaced). The builders swore they checked for leaks four times, and there is no water anywhere. I'm thinking that it probably is just pipe expansion after all, but it is still mighty annoying, especially with a thermostat in the house, which means that the radiators are constantly switched on or off.

I'm wondering if this noise stops after a while or not. Any more similar experiences?

Hi, I am having the same problem as described by others. I have a dripping noise coming from upstairs middle room heater. I tried tightening and loosing the side valves to check if it was a pressure issue.I still have problems.I tried bleeding several times radiators.I tried to keep boiler pressure at 1.1 bar.I still have the problem.I also tried to shut down the radiator by closing the valves but without any success. The dripping sound comes from under the floor, so I took floor boards up and check for leaks but I could not find any in rads surroundings,still the leak might be elsewhere if there is one.However, had leak been in the sytem, boiler should lose pressure something that does not happen.
A thing I noticed is that once the downstairs heater made similar noise to the upstair for a short time, CAN it BE THE RADIATOR?
I am sure I hear pipe expansion and that is a different noise fromt eh dripping.
I am out of options, can anybody advice please?I'm about to hammer down my new heating system.
thanks

+1

Interested that there haven't been any suggested remedies to this one..?

I have the same issue, and am looking for a solution. I have a 90 y.o. steam system with a 2 y.o. boiler. If my memory serves me. The noise started soon after the boiler replacement. The top of the old boiler was rusted and didn't hold pressure, so the change is probably due to pressure not the new boiler itself. The noise starts immediately after the boiler shuts off, and initially lasted only a few seconds. It has been lasting longer and longer, so now it last a minute or two. My uneducated theory is that my pipes are getting corroded to the point that the radiator fills with steam fine and drains fine as long as there is steam pressure, but as soon as the boiler cycles off and the steam pressure is gone, the radiator slowly drip-drains. either corrosion in the trap/drain line, or maybe corrosion in the supply line causing a 'finger over a straw' type of effect. Would appreciate it if someone with a better working knowledge of this could weigh in. It seems there are few left who know residential steam systems. Thanks.

It seems there are few left who know residential steam systems. Thanks.

As rare as rocking horse poo on this side of the pond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back