New Electric Shower Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm wanting to have a new electric shower installed - there's no shower in that bathroom at the moment. I know I'll need an electrician to run new cable from the consumer unit to the bathroom, but can anyone tell me if the spare socket in this picture will be ok for this purpose?

The CU is rated at 100A, and the new shower will be 10.8kW

I'm a bit confused as other posts hint at a separate CU being required

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly that isn't a socket, it is a spare 'way' in the consumer unit. You can fit any MCB in that space so yes it is suitable for your shower circuit.

You only need a separate CU if you don't have RCD protection (you do) or you don't have any spare ways (you do).

Davy

This is another post that is causing me some confusion, what percentage are you allowed to factor in for diversity, as personally I would have installed an extra shower consumer unit in this situation. Have I been wasting time & money?

Sponsored Links
what would happen if the buzzbar was cut just for the cooker,and 2 socket circuits and needed to get another MCB in ,could you cut a peice of 10mm in or would you have to buy a seprate buzzbar and cut it to bridge all 4 terminals.

do you see what i mean?

tight git electricians.. :D

busbars should not be cut... :mad:

every spare way in a consumer unit should be useable..

although it might actually be on the non rcd side but i should imagine it would be a 4/4 split..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back