1952 paint will it have lead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house was built in 1952. The original owners painted the kitchen, sold the house two years later and the new owners put paper over the paint. and as far as I know that's it. Now I've stripped the paper off.

I'm wondering what to do next. There are some scrapes and patches where the paint has come off, but it definitely isn't flaking off, for the most part its a smooth even surface, but its very old and I'm wondering if I could just paint over it.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Just paint over it. Paint of that age will often contain lead so don't sand it.

Sponsored Links
Gloss paint is glossy. it is the sort of paint you usually put on woodwork. Brushes (usually) need to be washed out in white spirit.

Emulsion paint is (fairly) flat. it is the sort of paint you put on ceilings and walls. Brushes can be washed out in water. It is often applied with a roller.

Sorry John, I must be dense. The paint looks pretty glossy to me, more like paint for woodwork, no idea how it was put on.

I dont really care what paint I use to cover it with (if that is what you are asking) as long as it looks reasonably smooth (the missing patches dont show through and it sticks to the paint that is there, this is whats worrying me, will it adhere to the paint if I dont sand it?

Thanks for your patience

Paint over it with dulux supergrip or problem solving primer or zinser bullseye..

LindsayO said:
Sorry John, I must be dense. The paint looks pretty glossy to me, more like paint for woodwork, no idea how it was put on.

Thanks for your patience
Oil Bound Distemper :?: 9 Elms ;)

Thanks for the advise, I'm sorry not to have responded sooner

I'm looking into the dulux versus Zinsser primer, both seem to have fans, so cant decide on which to use, but leaning more to Zinsser.

I need to ask what I do about the small patches where the original paint has come off, normally I would sand down the edges, right, but I cant do that with lead paint, so what do I do, there aren't many of them, so wouldn't mind if I had to do some thing fairly painstaking

Also what would people advise to use overtop of the primer in a kitchen, I just want something bland (I mean neutral) to sell the house. Is eggshell the best option for a kitchen?

thanks again any advise much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back