Hotpoint WD63 drainage problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my washer dryer started not draining just recently. I cleared the drain filter thingummy and it then drained on the next wash. Then it stopped again so i checked the filter and it was ok. Checked the drain pipe and it appears to be clear. I assume its the drain pump then but is there a way to check before i buy a new one (dont want to waste the money)in case its something else? And are these pumps expensive? Thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
Check the hoses inside the machine aren't kinked.

Our old machine wasn't draining as it should. On inspection I found the hose from the tub to the pump had kinked and collapsed, so it blocked the pump inlet.

I stuck a short length of plastic waste pipe inside the kink to keep it round, with a cable tie around the outside to hold it in place.

This bodge may eventually end up fretting through the hose, and flooding our kitchen. The proper answer is a replacement hose, but so far so good..........

Thanks i'll have a look at that option tomorrow. If it's not that then i'll have to give the new pump idea a go. I've read some people saying you can open the pump and look for blockage.. any ideas on how i do this without doing damage?

Generally you do not have to take apart the water pump to inspect it. Disconnect the inlet and outlet pipe,remove the pump fixings were it is secured to the washing machine, take out and you should be able to see down the inlet and outlet openings to the impellar were it is very common to find a coin foreign body etc. lodged which will cause the pump to cease operating

Sponsored Links
thankyou kindly, i shall give all advice a go in a minute and let you know how i get on :eek:)

What you have to do is - Remove back panel, take off sump hose (black hose from drum to pump) clear any blockages or anything jamming the impeller (you can put in a screwdriver into the pump and see if impeller is free at this stage. If it is still not draining the most common culprit is a Geroge Foreman grill. If you have a grill what happens is it siphoned down the drain hose when emptied into sink and block drain hose. If this is the case you have to boil a kettle and pour it down the drain hose from the sink end until it melts and frees itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back